Lobster Recipes – Lobster Thai Curry with Butter Basmati Rice and Coriander Cress
A delicious lobster recipe from James Martin, with our own little twist added at the end. A truly spectacular dish, tantalising on the taste buds and beautiful to look at. Food heaven indeed!
For the paste
- 10 long red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cm/¾in piece galangal, chopped (alternatively use root ginger)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander roots
For the lobster Thai curry
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ¼ tsp shrimp paste
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- 200ml/7fl oz coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 2 cooked lobsters, meat removed
- 2 tbsp coriander cress
For the butter basmati rice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in two
- 250g/9oz basmati rice
- For the paste, place all the ingredients into a small food processor and blend until smooth.
- For the lobster Thai curry, heat a wok, then add the paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lime leaves, shrimp paste , cumin, coriander and paprika. Cook for one minute.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, tamarind, lime juice and palm sugar.
- Meanwhile remove the meat from the lobster and chop the meat, leaving the claw intact.
- Add the lobster to the wok and cook until the lobster is hot. Reduce the heat and let the curry simmer gently until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile for the butter basmati rice, heat a medium saucepan and add one tablespoon of butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the cloves and cinnamon and cook for one minute. Add the rice and enough water to cover.
- Cover with a lid and turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on until ready to serve.
- Just before serving stir the remaining butter though the rice.
- To serve, serve the rice in a serving bowl along with the lobster curry, topped with coriander cress, spring onion and fresh chillies.
You can order your fresh lobster here